Belgium - Cities of Tervuren And Overijse - Orlando / Florida Guide
Florida Guide > Travelling
Tervuren is a municipality in the Province of Flemish Brabant, in Flanders Belgium. It comprises the villages of Duisburg, Tervuren, Vossem and Moorsel. The official language of all these areas is Dutch.
For centuries people thought that Tervuren was the same place where Saint Hubert died in 727AD. There is, however, no historical proof of this. A document dating from 1213 AD claims the presence of HenryI, Duke of Brabant, probably in a wooden fortification. This progressed into the castle of Tervuren, the residence of the Dukes of Brabant in the 14th and 15th centuries. The castle was demolished in 1782 under Joseph II.
Tervuren Arboretum was created in 1902 within the Bois de Capucins woods. It is divided into two sections: Old and New World. It features over 450 species of trees and shrubs grouped in 40 sections, each representing a forest type of the northern hemisphere. The collection is exceptionally well arranged in an impressive landscape park, covering 100 hectares of the Capucines Wood. The Arboretum was founded by King Leopold II and today still makes up one of the most attractive parts of the legacy that the king donated to the Belgian state.
The Royal museum for central Africa is an ethnography and natural history museum situated in Tervuren. The museum focuses on the Congo, a former Belgian colony, the exhibition extend to the Middle Africa. On 1st December 2013, the museum building closed its doors until 2017.
Overjise is a municipality in the province of Flemish Brabant, in Flanders, one of the three regions of Belgium. The municipality comprises the town of Overijse and the communities of Eizer, Maleizen, Jezus-Eik, Tombeek and Terlanen.
The official language is Dutch. In 1952, Albert Lootvoet, a local brewer started brewing the now world famous Leffe beer according to its original recipe. The Leffe beers were brewed in Overijse from 1952 until 1977, when Artois breweries bought out the local brewer.
Overijse draws its name from the nearby river, the Ijse that flows through the region. The oldest known name is Isca. The world is likely Celtic in origin, and translated means water.
Overijse was the birthplace of the celebrated 16th century humanist Justus Lipsius and he became a professor at Leuven.
Overijse is well known for the grapes growing in the glass houses. It has a museum of grapes showing the effort needed for growing grapes in the local climate and relating the story of the grapes through the ages. Open from April 1st until October 31st it has a traditional festival every year, held in August (Druivenfeesten). The festival commemorates the industry that shaped the area, namely cultivation of grapes.
Viewed 1701 times.
We aim to provide accurate and useful information, but if you feel anything provided here is not accurate or out of date, please email us with the address of the page concerned and any comments so we can amend as necessary.
We take great care to ensure we have the copyright holder's permission to display each photo. If you believe any of our photos should not be displayed for any reason then please email firstname.lastname@example.org
with full details, including a link to the photo concerned and we will act on it immediately.
Villa Owners: Upload A Photo To This Article
To upload a photo for consideration, click here. Please only submit photos relevant to this article.
Other Articles Viewed
The following articles were also viewed by people who looked at this one: